Melbourne Zoo is Australia's oldest and it first opened it's doors back in 1862.
More than 350 animal species from Australia and around the world are on view just 4 km from the centre of Melbourne, in a botanic garden setting of 55 acres / 22 hectares that iincludes an innovative master plan displaying and representating samples of the world's fauna and flora in a series of bioclimatic (or habitat) zones.
Significant historic features such as the design of the Main Walk and an early 20th Century menagerie exhibit are preserved in an historic zone so visitors will be able to measure the great improvements which have been achieved.
Melbourne's historic Zoo is clearly one of the world's greatest zoos.
Trail Of The Elephants
Take a journey to Elephant Village and discover the world of the Asian Elephant. Meet Mek Kapah and Bong Su and experience the many ways that people and elephants connect.
Did You Know?
- A healthy adult elephant produces 50kgs of pooh every day.
- 50kgs of pooh can be made into 0.5kg of gas, enough to provide cooking gas for 20 homes in a village.
- Gas is made by filtering the elephant pooh. The residue left behind by the process is used to fertilise crops.
- Elephant pooh can also be used to make paper products. At the Elephant Conservation Centre they make over 100 sheets of paper per day.
- Bong Su weighs about 5 tonnes, his shipment crate also weighs about 5 tonnes.
Meet the Keepers
'Meet the Keepers' of the Zoo animals, a great attraction when feeding time arrives.
- 4.30pm - Great Flight Aviary & The World of Bugs & Butterflies
- 5.00pm - Koalas
- 5.45pm - Giraffes
- 6.00pm - Seals
- 6.15pm - Tree Kangaroos / Cassowaries
Melbourne Zoo is located only minutes from the city centre, within Royal Park. Car parking is available or visitors can take the tram or train to reach the Zoo. Tram 55 from William Street Monday-Saturday and Tram 68 from Elizabeth Street run on Sundays. Trains run from historic Flinders Street Station on the Upfield or Gowrie lines Monday through Sunday, stopping at Melbourne Zoo's own Royal Park Station.